Emporer moth

Emporer moth
By Peter Byles

Thursday 17 February 2011

Otter dispersal at Bosherston


I came across this otter at about 08:30 this morning in the central lake at Bosherston, very close in to the Grassy Bridge. I had also seen this (or another) animal in the western arm (near the limestone outcrop) about twenty minutes earlier.

This is the third time I have seen an otter in the central lake this week. This contrasts markedly with my sightings in 2010, when I saw otters at Bosherston on 74 dates (one of the benefits of having a dog to walk), but never once outside the eastern arm - and invariably within c.200m of the Eight-arch Bridge.

On Monday, an otter was seen near the Eight-arch Bridge at about the same time that I was watching one in the central lake. This suggests that at least two of the 'daylight-feeding' family of 2009/10 are still present (if not all three), but now occupying different sections of the lake system and living independently of each other. Interestingly, the window frames of the boathouse seem to be a favoured sprainting site for one animal, which suggests that if you sit there long enough....

1 comment:

  1. Any sightings very recently ?
    I filmed them at Bosherston Lakes many years ago for the BBC and I'd like to try again for the Wildlife Trusts' footage library (and perhaps another DVD of my own). I live near Oxford so it's a long way to go if they're not very active at the moment.
    Thanks.

    ReplyDelete