Emporer moth

Emporer moth
By Peter Byles

Wednesday 27 January 2016

Harlequin Ladybird. Harmonia axyridis spectabilis

Not much happening in the insect world at this time of the year. However,
after I had a hot shower in our freezing bathroom the other day, this little
chap was roused from hibernation. I say 'little', but it was noticeably
bigger than our native Ladybirds. The distribution maps of this alien showed
rapid spread across UK from the SE, but the latest map I can find is 2009.
The Westward spread just about reached Pembs. Presumably they are now well
established here. This is the first one I've personally seen in Pembs. One
of my daughters, who lives in Surrey, says she sees dozens of them and fewer
natives.
                 Best Wishes,   Peter Byles

No comments:

Post a Comment