Emporer moth

Emporer moth
By Peter Byles

Wednesday 22 February 2017

Amourobius ferox

My wife called me to the bathroom to see this spider. I potted it and
examined it. I could see it had these amazing palps. I couldn't take a
really good photo, so I took it to my friend Melvin Grey who has constructed
a special light box. What an incredible image was produced.

The ID came within half an hour from srs@britishspiders.org.uk. These
ping-pong ball-like blobs are 'palpal bulbs'. It is a male spider. I imagine
that they play a part in the mating game. I understand that male spiders use
their palps to transfer a package of sperm to the female. If he is lucky he
may escape before she devours him. May be these white bulbs fool the female
into thinking that he hasn't delivered the parcel. He would then have a
chance to escape. That is my theory anyway.

Best   wishes, Peter Byles.




1 comment:

  1. Males of this species are not so often seen, so nice to have a good photo. On 4/7/2017 I found a female A. ferox with an egg sac under bricks at the base of a small cliff on the beach at Pennar, Pembroke Dock.

    ReplyDelete