Emporer moth

Emporer moth
By Peter Byles

Tuesday 12 April 2011

Which Bumble?

I was moving my wood piles around in the garden today to try to dry the logs off and a large bumble type bee seemed to follow me around. It started in the shed and I was trying to show it the way out but it certainly wanted to crawl into the pile. I was moving some of the damp logs to a new location and, as I was stacking them, along came the bee and went into a dryer pile below where I was working. I left to get more logs and, when I returned, it was in the pile I was stacking. Went to get my camera and as soon as it saw it, it flew away.
It was a very black bumble with a small band of mustardy yellow on the tail and it certainly seemed attracted to the smell of wet wood. Anyone know which bumble it was? I have to say that I do not see colour brilliantly well and mustardy yellow to me may be rusty to someone else.

Beryl
Pembrokeshire Hogspital

2 comments:

  1. http://www.bumblebeeconservation.org.uk/Garden_bumblebees.pdf

    ReplyDelete
  2. Think it must have been the Red Tailed but the blurb said it likes chalky areas and gardens. I have the garden but I don't know of any chalky areas around here.
    Thanks for the help

    Beryl

    ReplyDelete