Emporer moth

Emporer moth
By Peter Byles

Monday 8 August 2011

Grass Eggar moth?


Hello - my name is Sam Burton and I'm 7. My dad found this moth in the road by Musselwick just outside Marloes village and brought it home to show me as he knows I'm very interested in moths. We haven't seen one like it before. Can you tell us if it is a Grass Eggar? And if yes - are there many sightings of it in Pembrokeshire? I think it could be quite rare. We let this one go in our garden in Marloes, but it didn't look very well.

Thank you.
Sam

1 comment:

  1. Well - thanks to a moth expert, we now know this is in fact an Oak Eggar. Not as rare, but still exciting to us as we hadn't seen one before! Named an Oak Eggar because the shape of its cocoon is acorn-like (not because it likes Oak trees - good job as it would be hard pushed to find one in Marloes). Males fly in the daytime.

    ReplyDelete