Emporer moth

Emporer moth
By Peter Byles

Sunday 29 September 2013

Fungus expert required

Please can anyone tell me what this fungus is that is growing all round the base of my very tall Stringy Bark Eucalyptus tree?  It is now appearing up the trunk as well but, the worrying part is, the bark is quite quickly growing back through the fungus thus hiding it again. I wonder what is going on inside the trunk?
There is no stem on the fungus, it is like a white ball attached to the bark.  I have not removed any as I don't want to spread spores unnecessarily.
The tree, in all other ways, looks very healthy.



1 comment:

  1. Looks a bit like a young Ganoderma, either australe or applanatum.They form in successive layers over many years and are dark matt brown above with a white pore layer beneath.

    ReplyDelete